It may seem obvious but it’s often normal to feel overwhelmed and unsure of what you are looking for in your doula. It is difficult to know enough about someone after meeting thing only once, let alone to trust them enough with such a personal and vital role. Below are some suggestions of questions to ask yourself when making this very personal choice. Remember with each question you ask yourself, always follow your own instincts. You are the best expert about you. It may not be clear after meeting a doula how you feel about them. If you are unsure always remember you can ask to meet them again, ask for references, or simply take more time to weigh your options. Here are some starter questions to help get you thinking in the right direction …
- Am I comfortable around her?
- Is my partner comfortable with this person?
- Does she listen well? Is she taking notes?
- When she talks to me, do I understand her well?
- Does it feel like she is supporting me and my decisions? Or does it feel like she is supporting who own agenda?
If your internal responses are all positive to questions like these, this is a good sign you have found a perfect doula for you. To be sure, always try and meet a few doulas so you can really get a feel of what is out there, and how each doula will effectively have a unique and different relationship with you. Have you already experienced birth with a doula present? What were some questions that you asked yourself during your quest to find a doula?
Many people are not sure what to ask when they are meeting a doula or birth professional for the very first time. Below is a list of some of the most important things you should consider asking when choosing a doula.
- What training or certifications did you take to become a doula?
- How many births have you attended?
- Why did you decide to become a doula?
- Are you part of a team? If so, do you have a back up?
- Will you support me through any birth decision?
- At what point do you join me during labour?
- Will you get along with my caregiver and medical staff?
- What is your fee, and what does it include?
- What is your refund policy?
- How would you include my partner during labour?
These are just some of the types of questions that you should have a solid understanding of before choosing a birth professional.